The moving and handling of objects is a regular task in all aspects of work, which if not done safely, can cause serious injury to employees. It is essential that you know about safe moving and handling so you don’t hurt yourself or others. Through continual assessment by the Tutor, the learner will refresh and develop skills to enable them to meet their legal requirements and assist their employer to remain compliant.
This practical based course is role specific to allow development of personal skills and attributes.
Who should attend?
All employees who handle materials, boxes, mail and packages, including care workers, industrial staff and office workers. This qualification introduces candidates to the hazards and risks involved in manual handling and outlines what to expect from a manual handling assessment. It will enable employees to contribute to the development of safer manual handling methods and tasks in the workplac
What will I learn?
On successful completion of the course, the learner will demonstrate that they are able to:
• Describe and apply the safe and correct manual handling techniques and equipment for social care activities/support with customers
• Describe and apply legislation, policy and procedures for identifying, assessing and controlling manual handling risks
• Describe and apply ergonomic principles and capabilities in social care activities/support to prevent or minimise injury to self, co-workers and customers
• Identify the hazards of manual handling
• Identify the risks involved and controls available
• Identify what to expect from a manual handling assessment
What will it cover?
• Legislation: HASAWA 1974; MHOR 1992; LOLER 1998; PUWER 1998; RIDDOR 2013
• General statistics related to Manual Handling
• The Spine and its functions/Back care
• The Safe Principles of Manual Handling
• Risk Assessments
• Problem solving/Case studies
Maximum number of delegates
What to do next?
Visit our Contact Us page to enquire about availability